- 6 each chicken thighs see duck confit recipe
Chinese yard long beans
- 1 1/2 lbs yard long beans
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tbsp sambal
- 4 egg yolks
- 10 tbsp butter melted (clarified if possible)
- 2 tbsp ginger juice
- 1 whole lime juiced
- 1 tbsp korean chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 3 tbsp fried garlic
- 1/4 cup shiso leaves micro
- 3 tbsp cilantro flowers
Calories: 397kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 9gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 451mgPotassium: 355mgFiber: 5gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 2220IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 100mgIron: 2mg
- Fryer or pan with lid with 2 cups vegetable oil
For the smoked chicken confit
- In stove top smoker place apple wood chips along with pecan in the bottom of your smoker. Place the chicken inside and cover. Turn on the heat and allow the chips to start smoking. Have the heat on for 1-2 minutes maximum. Turn off the heat and allow the chicken to stay inside the smoker for 30 minutes. Then take the chicken out follow the rest of the directions for curing and cooking the chicken thighs with the above link. If you are in a rush and don’t want to cure overnight try to cure for at least 8 hours.
How to make hollandaise
- Place egg yolks, white wine, and ginger juice into a stainless steel bowl. Place over a double boiler or a pot with a little water in it simmering. With a whisk continuously stirring, whisk the egg yolks until they are thick and a airy but not scrambled. 'Take the bowl off the heat. Make a ring with a towel and place the bowl in the ring (this allows you to pour the butter with one hand and stir using the other hand without holding the bowl). Slowly pour in the butter, a ladle at a time stirring constantly. Season with salt, lime juice, and Korean flakes. Cover and Keep in a warm place.
How to cook yard long beans
- One trick for the long beans is to actually fry them for the 1 minutes. You can blanch them in salted water if desired but long beans have a very tuff outer skin. One way to get around that toughness is to flash fry or blanch fry. Instead of blanching them in the salted water you are simply doing a quick fry to tenderize the outer skin. Fry for about 45 seconds to 1 minutes. I would suggest covering the pan you are frying in because of the water content in the yard long bean you will have a big mess in your kitchen. Take out and drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take your chicken thighs out of the duck fat once they have rested or completely cooled from the day before. In a hot cast iron skillet place the chicken thighs in the pan skin side down. You shouldn’t need any oil because there should still be a bit of duck fat on them. Cook in the pan for 1 minute and then place in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes until the skin is crisp and brown and the meat is hot all the way through. Meanwhile place the wheat berries in the small pot with chicken stock and some butter if desired. Bring up to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, season with salt and pepper and keep warm. In large saute pan add sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 30 seconds and then add the flash fried long beans. Add the sambal chili paste and season the beans with salt (or soy sauce if desired). Cook the beans for 1-2 minutes until tender, hot, and delicious. Grab 3-4 long beans and place them in a circle in the middle of the plate. Then add a spoonful of the wheat berries in the middle of the plate. Take the chicken thighs out of the oven. Flip over the thighs and place one on top of the wheat berries. Finish the plate with the hollandaise, fried garlic, shiso leaves and cilantro flowers. Serve and enjoy!
WHEN YOU COOK AND TAKE A PICTURE, TAG POST #SALTVANILLA