Quiche Florentine (Spinach and Cheese)
- 2 sheets puff pastry cut into a total 8 squares
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup cooked spinach (1 lb baby spinach raw)
- 1 cup gruyere cheese (or petite basque)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
Calories: 498kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 12gFat: 35gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 427mgPotassium: 62mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 413IUCalcium: 208mgIron: 2mg
How to make puff pastry shells
- Take 2 x-large muffin pans of 6 and place them on the counter. Then take two sheets of puff pastry and cut each sheet into 4 squares (you can round them off if desired cut the corners to make them more fitting to the round muffin mold. Place each piece of puff pastry in a muffin round forming it to the the mold, so you should have a total of 8. Then take parchment paper and cut a small square about the same size as the puff pastry and place on top of each puff pastry square inside the muffin tin. Take baking weights or dried beans or rice and place them on top of the parchment paper, filling it up as much as possible. This will weigh down the puff pastry limiting the amount it will rise when it cooks. Place the muffin tins into a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 23-25 minutes. The puff pastry should be pale to light brown. Take the puff pastry out of the oven. Remove the parchment paper and the weights (dried beans).
How to make quiche florentine
- Fill each puff pastry one third with cheese and cooked spinach (saute spinach for 4 minutes in a medium hot pan with 2 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then drain of excess water) In a bowl mix eggs and cream and season with salt and pepper. Pour the custard over each puff pastry that is filled with spinach and cheese. Return the muffin pan back to the oven and cook for another 20 minutes or until the egg has set and the puff pastry is golden brown. Take the pans out of the oven. You might need to wait a minute or two to unmold the quiche’s. They should pop right out of the muffin pan, if not you might need a knife to help release them from the pan. Place on a platter, serve and enjoy!