Carnival Squash Scarpinocc Pasta with Sunchokes
- 1 1/2 cup carnival squash roasted
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 oz parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp basil chopped
- 1 recipe Basic Egg Pasta
For the Sunchokes
- 12 oz sunchokes roasted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
Butternut squash soup
- 1 small butternut squash roasted
- 4-5 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic roasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
- 3 tbsp chives chopped
- 3 sunchokes shaved thin and fried
- salt and pepper to taste
Sodium: 741mgCalcium: 225mgVitamin C: 29mgVitamin A: 8550IUSugar: 10gFiber: 3gPotassium: 779mgCholesterol: 27mgCalories: 307kcalSaturated Fat: 5gFat: 8gProtein: 10gCarbohydrates: 26gIron: 4mg
How to make the squash scarpinocc filling
- Place roasted carnival squash, ricotta, parmesan cheese, and basil, into food processor along with salt and pepper. Puree until the mixture is completely smooth. Then place into a pastry bag with a plan tip. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up the filling slightly.
How to make scarpinocc Pasta
- Place 3 cups of flour in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour. Add eggs, yolks, splash water, and salt. With a fork stir the egg mixture until it starts to form a ball of dough. Then use your hands to form the dough. Add more flour if the dough is wet. Knead the pasta for 5 minutes and then cover and rest for at least 30 minutes. Take your pasta and cut in half. Leave one half covered while you work with the other half. Take the half of the pasta with a rolling pin and roll until the dough is thin enough to fit inside the biggest setting on your pasta machine ( I use the kitchenaid attachment). Then run the pasta all the way down to the lowest setting twice. Dusting the dough with flour if it is too wet. Then on the third time run it down to the number 6 or 7 setting depending on the strength of the dough. Again, Use a little flour for dusting. If you feel like the dough is very strong and good density to it you might be fine with a 7 setting. If you feel like the dough is "loose" and doesn't have the structure to it then you might want to go a little thicker with a number 6 setting. One you have the flat pasta all laid out you can take an adjustable pasta cutter (here) and cut 1inch by 1/2 inch rectangle. Place a dollop of filling in the center of the rectangle pasta. Then you fold over the pasta once over the filling and then one more time to seal it. You pinch both sides of the rectangle and then using your finger make a little dimple in the top of your filling. Should look like this picture in the upper left corner ( the sides are pinched and there is a dimple in the top of the filling )
How to make carnival squash soup
- In a small sauce pot add butter and onions with a pinch of salt. Cook for a few minutes and then add roasted garlic and roasted butternut squash. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Place in a vitamix and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
How to roast sunchokes
- On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper add sunchokes. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 min in a preheated 375 degree oven. Take out and allow to cool. Set aside for laterFor the fried sunchokes Simply, slice the sunchokes thin (1/8th inch) and fry in a 300 degree pan with vegetable oil. Fry until golden brown and strain out onto a paper towel. Immediately season with salt and set aside.
- Place a pot of boiling salted water on. In a large saute pan add 2 tbsp of olive oil and butter. Slice roasted sunchokes and add to the pan. Place scarpinocc pasta in the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Then strain out and pasta and place in the saute pan with the sunchokes. Season with salt and pepper. Then in your bowl add some of the butternut soup. Add a few pieces of the pasta with the sunchokes. Top with some fresh parmesan cheese. Drizzle with pumpkin seed oil and seeds. Top with sunchoke chips and chives. Serve and enjoy!