For the Red Velvet Cake
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour (1 cup flour plus 1/2 cup corn starch)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 whole eggs separated
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 drops red food coloring
Cream Cheese frosting
- 1 lb cream cheese room temperature
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tbsp cream or half and half
Sodium: 235mgCalcium: 51mgVitamin A: 543IUSugar: 64gFiber: 1gPotassium: 88mgCholesterol: 45mgCalories: 524kcalSaturated Fat: 15gFat: 23gProtein: 5gCarbohydrates: 76gIron: 1mg
How to make red velvet cake
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then in stand mixing bowl whip with the whisk attachment the egg whites to stiff peaks. Place the egg whites in separate bowl and wipe out your mixing bowl. In a stand mixer bowl fitted with a paddle beat sugar and butter together. Whip on high for one minute and then add oil, yolks, buttermilk, and vanilla paste. Mix well for another 30 seconds and then add your dry ingredients along with food coloring. Mix well for 1 minute until well combined. Fold the egg whites into the cake batter carefully not to deflate the whites. Divide the batter between two round cake pans. I like to use the USA pan because it ensures even baking, easy release, it is well priced, and it is made domestically. Place the cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-17 minutes. Check with a cake tester and take out and cool completely.
How to make cream cheese frosting
- Place butter and cream cheese in stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix together for 1 minute. Then add sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on low until the powdered sugar is completely incorporated and then turn on to high and whip for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add a touch of cream to loosen it slightly if it is too thick. Set aside until you are ready to frost the cake.
- Once cooled completely (at least an hour) remove the cakes from the pan. Place one cake down on a cake stand I like to and add a layer of frosting on the top. Then add the second cake and place it on top. Add another layer of frosting on the top and sides. Smooth over the frosting using an offset spatula. Serve and enjoy!