Passion Fruit Caramel
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup passion fruit juice fresh
Passion Fruit and Coconut Flan
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp passion fruit juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste or vanilla bean
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
Calories: 377kcalCarbohydrates: 32gProtein: 3gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 28mgPotassium: 145mgSugar: 30gVitamin A: 958IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 48mgIron: 1mg
For the passion fruit caramel
- In a small add sugar and passion fruit juice. Bring to a boil and then cook for about 10 minutes without stirring or swirling the pan. Once the caramel becomes a deep golden brown. Turn off the heat and fill the 8 4 oz ramekins. Place the ramekins in a deep baking dish.
For the Flan
- Place cream, coconut milk, and vanilla into a pot and bring to a boil. Meanwhile place eggs, yolks, and sugar into a bowl and mix well with a whisk for 1 minute. Once the cream mixture comes to a boil, add the cream mixture to the eggs, a little at a time (This is called tempering the eggs). Once it is all combined, strain through a fine mesh strainer. Then fill each ramekin with the flan mixture. Fill the baking dish with hot water unti it reaches half way up the outside of the ramekin. Cover with foil and place in a 300-325 degree oven for about 45 minutes or unti the flan has set. Allow to cool completely and then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Simple take the flan out of the refridgerator and run a pairing knive around the inside of the ramekin to loosen the flan. Quickly turn the flan over on to a plate. (If you have a little trouble releasing the flan from the ramekin you can always get a small container of very hot way and place just the bottom portion of the flan in the hot water, to soften the caramel) Serve and enjoy!
WHEN YOU COOK AND TAKE A PICTURE, TAG POST #SALTVANILLA