Fennel Apple purée
- 1 fennel bulb quartered and sliced thin
- 1 apple peeled and large diced
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1 tbsp butter and olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 16 chestnuts boiled and peeled and cut in half
- 1/3 cup chicken broth or water
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp browned butter (another 4 tbsp of butter)
- 1 apple peeled and cut into 1/8 inch think rounds
- basil and fennel fronds
Calories: 263kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 3gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 778mgPotassium: 561mgFiber: 4gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 710IUVitamin C: 26mgCalcium: 79mgIron: 1mg
For Browned Butter
- Place 4 tbsp of butter in a small pot and turn on medium high heat. Cook the butter until it start to brown and smell a bit nutty. Take off the heat.
For the Fennel Purée
- In a medium sauté pan on medium heat add olive oil, butter, sliced fennel, apple and 1/2 tsp of salt. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. The fennel or apple should not brown in the bottom of the pan. After about 10 minutes add the cream and continue cooking for another 15 minutes or until everything is tender all the way through. Once they are done, place in a vitamix and puree until smooth. Adjust the seasoning if need be, set aside and keep warm.
- Take a medium saucepan and place halved chestnuts and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then turn down to light simmer. Add the butter to the pan so that the butter emulsifies into the broth and makes a “glaze” for the chestnuts. Season the chestnuts lightly with salt. Then using a ring mold in the center of the plate add some of the fennel-apple puree in the mold. Then add the chestnuts on top of the puree. Take your sliced apple rounds and place on top. Spoon a little browned butter on top and garnish with fennel and basil. Serve and enjoy!