Pate a choux dough (cream puffs)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 stick butter
Pistachio pastry cream
- 7 oz pistachio paste
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch plus 1/8th cup
- 3 tbsp butter
White chocolate ganache (glaze)
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup pistachios finely chopped
Calories: 351kcalCarbohydrates: 45gProtein: 8gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 130mgPotassium: 248mgFiber: 1gSugar: 32gVitamin A: 427IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 174mgIron: 1mg
For the cream puffs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, In a small pot add milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Bring to a simmer. As soon as the butter has completely melted stir in the flour with a wooden spoon and turn down the heat to low. Incorporate all the flour thoroughly and cook for about 1 minute. Transfer the dough to a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Turn on medium speed for a minute and then turn down to low speed. Crack the four eggs into a measuring cup and add them to the dough one at a time. Make sure the egg completely incorporates before adding the next egg. Continue until all the eggs have been added. Then take the dough and place in a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip. On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper pipe small rounds of the dough. If the tops of the rounds have a tip from piping take your finger with a little water on it and push it down lightly. If you don't have a piping bag just use two spoons or ice cream scoop. Once the sheet pan is full of the cream puffs, place them in the oven and immediately turn down to 350 degrees bake for about 30-35 minutes until light brown. Then turn down the oven to 325 and bake for another 15 minutes. Take out and let them cool completely.
For the pistachio pastry cream
- Scald the milk with pistachio paste and vanilla bean paste in a medium sauce pot, stirring often with a whisk. Turn off the heat when the milk starts to a boil. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a stand mixer set to high, until the eggs and sugar form pale white ribbons (3-4 minutes). Add the cornstarch to the eggs and beat for 30 seconds. Temper the eggs by whisking in one ladle of milk at a time until all the milk is incorporated with the egg mixture. Place all of the egg/milk mixture back into the pot on medium low heat. Whisk continually until it thickens, allow about 10-12 minutes, but don't boil. Once it has thickened incorporate butter, then pour the pudding into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve to cool. Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the pudding so it doesn't form a skin, and place in an ice bath or the refrigerator. Cool completely. Once cooled completely place the pastry cream in a pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip. Then take your cream puffs and your pistachio pastry cream. Take your cream in the pastry bag in one hand and take a cream puff in your other hand. Using the metal point or tip of the pastry cream poke a hole in the bottom of the cream puff. Squeeze about a half an ounce or until you can feel the cream puff getting full in your hand. Continue until all the puffs are done.
For the white chocolate ganache
- Place white chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Place cream in a small pot and bring to a boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and allow to sit for 1 minutes. Then with a whisk stir until the mixture is completely melted and smooth.
- Once the ganache is smooth you can take each cooled cream puff and coat the tops of the puffs by simply dipping them halfway into the ganache. Once all of the tops are coated with white chocolate top with finely chopped pistachios. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Serve and enjoy!