Challah Bread ( 2 loaves)
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp yeast ( a little more than 2 packages)
- 1 tbsp sugar plus 1/3 scant cup
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 eggs plus 1 more for brushing
- 6 cup bread flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour if needed
- 1 tbsp salt
Calories: 394kcalCarbohydrates: 56gProtein: 12gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 619mgPotassium: 146mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 138IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 60mgIron: 1mg
For the Challah Bread
- Preheat oven to 350In a mixing bowl add warm milk, yeast, and 1 tbsp of sugar. Whisk together well and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Then add oil, eggs into the bowl. Add 6 cups of bread flour and salt and turn the mixer on low speed. Mix until the the dough starts to come together. If need be add the 1 cup of the all purpose flour. Once the dough comes together. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead for 5-7 minutes. Coat the mixing bowl with oil and place the dough back in the bowl. Cover with a towel and allow the dough to double in size.
- Then take the dough out of the bowl. Divide the dough in half. Then divide each half into 3 equals parts. Take the 3 equal pieces of dough and roll them out to about a 1 - 1 1/2 ft long. Then take the 3 ropes and braid them interweaving them. Place the braided dough onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Cover the loaf with a towel and allow the loaf to proof for another hour. Take the last egg and beat well, brush the loaf with egg wash and cover with poppy seeds and place in the oven and bake 30-35 minutes until the internal temperature hits 190 degrees. Take out and let it cool on a rack until completely cooled.